Patents, Trade Secrets
There is a large portfolio of allowed and pending patents that cover the Keltech high speed lapper system. In addition, there is an extensive amount of trade secret information that has been developed for the processes, materials and production techniques. Together, they offer protection and many opportunities.
1. ABRASIVE COATED DISC ISLANDS USING MAGNETIC FONT SHEET
2. ABRASIVE LAPPING HEAD WITH FLOATING AND RIGID WORKPIECE CARRIER
3. ABRASIVE DISC WITH VITRIFIED AGGLOMERATE ISLANDS
4. ABRASIVE SANDWICH PLATEN WITH VACUUM GROOVE SURFACE AND AIR BEARING PAD SUPPORT
5. ABRASIVE MACHINE SOLID PLATEN WITH SURFACE VACUUM GROOVES AND AIR BEARING PAD SUPPORT
6. ABRASIVE SANDWICH PLATEN WITH VACUUM GROOVE SURFACE AND TAPERED ROLLER SUPPORT
7. ABRASIVE MACHINE SOLID PLATEN WITH SURFACE VACUUM GROOVES AND TAPERED ROLLER SUPPORT
8. ABRASIVE WHEEL WITH VITRIFIED DIAMOND AGGLOMERATES
9. ABRASIVE DISC WITH VITRIFIED DIAMOND AGGLOMERATES
10. LAPPER WAFER HEAD SURFACE VACUUM GROOVES
Agglom Disc, Erodible Filler Between Islands
The ABRASIVE DISC WITH VITRIFIED AGGLOMERATE ISLANDS patent is special. Vitrified diamonds are captured
in glass to support them against abrading forces as they slowly wear down and continually develop sharp edges
on the particle leading surface. This provides full utilization of each individual expensive diamond particle for
significant abrading cost savings.
The annular band of island structures on the flexible disk backing provides uniform wear-down of both the
wafers and the abrasive disc islands. The islands prevent hydroplaning of the wafers when water coolant is used
at high-speed abrading.
The erodible filler material between the island structures carries coolant water to the depths of the wafer
surface being abraded. Swelling of portions of the wafer surface due to heat generated by abrading friction is
avoided by this cooling action. Localized swelling can cause non-flat wafer surfaces. Multiple tests have shown
that the filler material does not affect the cutting action of the diamond particle filled agglomerate islands.
Abrading tests have shown the requirement of the erodible island filler material for high-speed wafer polishing.
International PCT versions of this patent especially will be filed in multiple countries including China, Korea,
Japan and Germany to provide worldwide protection of this technology. The patent will be easy to enforce
because the presence of the erodible filler between the islands is obvious even from a great distance